Downloading and installing
Are you interested in downloading SparkChess for PC, Mac, Chrome or Android? Have you encountered any issue? Most users can download and start playing chess right away, but just in case you’re having some problems, check this section.
How do I install SparkChess on Mac OS?
On Macs, SparkChess doesn’t need to be installed. When the download completes, Mac OS automatically decompresses the SparkChess zip file so all you need to do is to drag it from the Downloads folder to the desktop. Click here for a video.
My Antivirus Blocks SparkChess
SparkChess does not contain any form of malware, spyware, adware or anything harmful. It doesn’t interact with the system beyond loading & saving games and accessing the internet in multiplayer; the installer doesn’t do anything else besides copying files. Still, overzealous antiviruses may very rarely flag SparkChess and move it to quarantine. (Sometimes, antiviruses manage to actually label themselves as viruses.)
SparkChess 8 was briefly flagged by Norton Antivirus as ‘WS.Reputation1‘, which basically means a file not commonly downloaded (new release – duh!). We’ve worked with Symantec and whitelisted SparkChess 8. You should keep your virus definitions up-to-date so you don’t get false-positives.
If you are unsure about SparkChess for Windows, you can use the free VirusTotal.com service to upload and scan the installer. They scan with 57 different antivirus and antimalware programs – SparkChess is clean and virus-free.
If Norton Antivirus quarantined your download, please follow these instructions to restore it.
I want SparkChess for Chrome but I’m directed to purchase it for Windows
Given the number of operating systems and devices SparkChess is available on, we’re trying to find the best match for you automatically. If you are on PC or Mac, you’ll be directed to buy the native app for your platform. We do not have a Chrome app, but we do have a Premium Live version of SparkChess that works in any modern browser, including on mobile phones and tablets. Go to the SparkChess Premium Live site to sign up.
If you have already purchased SparkChess for Windows or Mac and want it exchanged with Premium Live, please contact us.
I purchased SparkChess but I still see the free version when I play
You’re probably launching the free version by mistake. Don’t worry, it happens.
Let’s review the possibilities:
- if you purchased SparkChess for PC or Mac, you no longer need to play the game in your browser. You must locate the downloaded game and install it on your computer. Use CTRL/CMD+J from your browser to see the Download History and look for a file containing the word “sparkchess”, e.g. sparkchess10setup.exe on PC or sparkchess10.zip on Mac.
- If you subscribed to Premium Live to play in your browser, you no longer need to access www.sparkchess.com – instead you must open the premium site at premium.sparkchess.com to login.
- On Android and IOS, pay attention to the game icons and names. They are called differently, the full version is “SparkChess Pro”.
How can I upgrade to the latest version?
If you own an older version, you can upgrade using this upgrade form.
I downloaded the game but I can’t find it. Do I need to buy it again?
No. Start by either
- looking at your Downloads History (press CTRL+J / CMD+J in your browser to see the list) or
- looking into your Downloads folder or
- searching your computer files for “sparkchess”.
If you can’t find it or in the event you lost all the information on your computer, please contact us. At a minimum we’ll need the email address you used when purchasing but providing more details (payment method, transaction ID, receipt) will help speed up the process.