SparkChess 15 is the latest available version
To upgrade your product, please enter the Transaction ID you were given when you purchased SparkChess from our website. If you don’t have the Transaction ID, you can recover it and have it sent to your email address.
This page is only for purchases made through this site. If you purchased SparkChess through a different store (Mac Store, Windows Store, Steam, etc.), you must check there for upgrading.
If you don’t own SparkChess yet, please go to the Download page to see all platforms and payment methods.
What’s new in SparkChess 15
Access our online Endgame Tablebase
This is huge and it’s been on our to-do list for years!
If you are unfamiliar with the term, tablebases are enormous databases that enable chess engines to play accurately in the endgame phase, when there are only a handful of pieces left on the board.
For most people, even professional chess players, downloading and installing these huge databases would be impractical, but SparkChess 15 can use our own cloud database and when there are 5 or fewer pieces left on the board, it can find the best move instantly! (Claire and above can use it and you can also use it via Help/Coach).
Learn and practice openings
Learn major chess openings (over 100 variations in total!) with Openings Explorer. Simply choose to practice against an AI opponent and select an opening from the dropdown. You’ll be shown arrows for moves that are part of the selected opening, allowing you to learn it quickly and to explore different variations.
Snapshot and 3D improvements
The 3D mode has been improved with more detailed models, better lighting, and a dynamic depth-of-field effect that has to be seen in full to be appreciated.
And with all these gorgeous visuals, we just had to add a snapshot feature so that you can save the board as an image.
- Better AI: Opponents play openings more naturally, and are better at adapting their response to the player.
- More languages: SparkChess is now available in 7 languages: English, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Spanish and Romanian.
- Team management: Admins can now lock their team to prevent people from sending join requests. You can now search/filter teams from the list to find the one you’re interested in.
- Refinements: Interface and board improvements, such as better board lighting, modified chat window to better accommodate devices with on-screen keyboards, and others.
- More: Many other improvements and bug fixes.
We hope you’ll enjoy playing SparkChess as much as we enjoyed building it! Your support for 12 years enables us to keep the development active.
Features introduced in previous versions:
SparkChess 14 (2020)
- Alyx – customizable AI.
- Local multiplayer.
- AI Engine improvements.
- Lessons: Famous historical chess games.
- Teams Time Controls.
- Interface and board improvements.
SparkChess 12 (2019)
- Coach mode explains – in plain language – why a move was good or not.
- Fully-3D fantasy chess set.
- Create and manage teams.
- More lessons and puzzles
- User experience improvements.
SparkChess 11 (2018)
- Cloud-synced History.
- Multiplayer games statistics.
- Redesigned chat experience.
- Report & Block abusive players.
- Improved multiplayer connection reliability.
- Flip board.
- User interface improvements.
SparkChess 10 (2017)
- New AI engine with dramatically improved speed and strength.
- Real 3D board that can be rotated, zoomed and panned.
- Observer multiplayer mode.
SparkChess 9 (2016)
- Completely rewritten, using more modern language and tools.
- 4x AI speed improvement.
- Redesigned interface.
- Fullscreen mode.
- Improved PGN import.
SparkChess 8 (2015)
- 4x Improvement on opening database for more varied play.
- 50% faster engine.
- Sound support.
- 15 new chess lessons.
- Separate multiplayer play areas with support for advanced time control.
- New scoring mode.
SparkChess 7 (2014)
- New UI
- New single-player difficulty level
- Import/Export PGN files
- Opponent filtering in multiplayer
- Improved board analysis
SparkChess 6 (2012)
- HD graphics for the board.
- Fantasy chess set.
- Facebook integration.
- Multiplayer enhancements.
SparkChess 5 (2011)
- Added multiplayer mode
SparkChess 4 (2010)
- Renamed from flashCHESS to SparkChess to avoid trademark issues.
- Character-based difficulty levels.
- Interface redesign.
- Board redesign for improved contrast.
- Added replay mode.
- Multi Language feature.
FlashCHESS 3 (2008)
- Completely new online app.
- 3D board design.
- new, faster chess engine that observes all chess rules.
flashChess 1 & 2 (2002)
- The very first online chess game.