SparkChess 14 is the latest available version
To upgrade your product, please enter the Transaction ID you were given when you purchased SparkChess from our website. If you don’t have the Transaction ID, you can recover it and have it sent to your email address.
This page is only for purchases made through this site. If you purchased SparkChess through a different store (Mac Store, Windows Store, Steam, etc.), you must check there for upgrading.
If you don’t own SparkChess yet, please go to the Download page to see all platforms and payment methods.
What’s new in SparkChess 14
Customize difficulty with Alyx
One of the most frequent requests we receive is to add new opponents – either someone easier than Deon, or a bit better than Claire or even a super-Guru. So we created Alyx.
Alyx is an android and you can endlessly fine-tune her strength and personality to fit your playing style.
If you don’t have a real chessboard nearby, you can now share your computer or phone to play with a friend. It’s easy and fun!
- Better and Faster: Introducing Alyx also enabled us to further improve the chess engine, making it significantly faster and more accurate.
- More learning tools: We’ve added a suite of famous historical chess games with comments, essential for anyone who’s studying chess.
- Team customization: Team owners can now specify time controls for their Team’s Playing Area.
- Refinements: Many interface and board improvements, including coordinates on boards, faster loading and more.
- More: Many other improvements and bug fixes.
We hope you’ll enjoy playing SparkChess as much as we enjoyed building it! Your support for 12 years enables us to keep the development active.
Features introduced in previous versions:
SparkChess 12 (2019)
- Coach mode explains – in plain language – why a move was good or not.
- Fully-3D fantasy chess set.
- Create and manage teams.
- More lessons and puzzles
- User experience improvements.
SparkChess 11 (2018)
- Cloud-synced History.
- Multiplayer games statistics.
- Redesigned chat experience.
- Report & Block abusive players.
- Improved multiplayer connection reliability.
- Flip board.
- User interface improvements.
SparkChess 10 (2017)
- New AI engine with dramatically improved speed and strength.
- Real 3D board that can be rotated, zoomed and panned.
- Observer multiplayer mode.
SparkChess 9 (2016)
- Completely rewritten, using more modern language and tools.
- 4x AI speed improvement.
- Redesigned interface.
- Fullscreen mode.
- Improved PGN import.
SparkChess 8 (2015)
- 4x Improvement on opening database for more varied play.
- 50% faster engine.
- Sound support.
- 15 new chess lessons.
- Separate multiplayer play areas with support for advanced time control.
- New scoring mode.
SparkChess 7 (2014)
- New UI
- New single-player difficulty level
- Import/Export PGN files
- Opponent filtering in multiplayer
- Improved board analysis
SparkChess 6 (2012)
- HD graphics for the board.
- Fantasy chess set.
- Facebook integration.
- Multiplayer enhancements.
SparkChess 5 (2011)
- Added multiplayer mode
SparkChess 4 (2010)
- Renamed from flashCHESS to SparkChess to avoid trademark issues.
- Character-based difficulty levels.
- Interface redesign.
- Board redesign for improved contrast.
- Added replay mode.
- Multi Language feature.
FlashCHESS 3 (2008)
- Completely new online app.
- 3D board design.
- new, faster chess engine that observes all chess rules.
flashChess 1 & 2 (2002)
- The very first online chess game.