Max Walter vs Lasker, Ostrava, 1923. Lasker with the black wins in 3. Play, solve and comment
Alexander Alekhine is universally regarded as a great attacking genius, and one of the most creative players of all time. White offers a pawn in order to open up attacking lines around Black’s king. Black accepts the sacrifice less than half the time at high level play, because White gets very dangerous play in return for the pawn.
In chess it’s important to make sure you’re comfortable with the positions that arise from the choices you make early in the game. One position may even be objectively better. But as long as they’re both playable, if the first position doesn’t fit your style, the other one is your best choice. We all play some positions better than others. It happened to me a couple years ago, and here’s why.
Latest Chess Puzzle
SparkChess in news
- SparkChess demoed by Google for Chrome OS – the article is about Chrome OS and Chrome notebooks, but SparkChess, with its pretty graphics and impressive functionality was the the highlight of the presentation.
- Q&A with SparkChess’ author – an interview conducted by Adobe with many technical insights.
- SparkChess – top app on Chrome Web store – an article on The Independent
- Sharpen Your Chess Game – a review of flashCHESS III (the old SparkChess) on Lifehacker
- The Best Online Sources to Play and Learn Chess – another old review of the old SparkChess (flashCHESS III) as well as other sites.
Useful Chess sites
- ChessGuide.com – Chess directory with categorized links to Chess sites, software, news, leagues, tournaments and more.
- For chess sets, chess boards and over 400 other chess items, ChessBaron is a straighforward, honest and innovative chess retailer serving the chess market. It’s situated in the UK and delivers worldwide.
- For in-depth analysis of chess openings and chess strategy, there is no better place than The Chess Website.
- Online chess lessons with Chess Master William Stuart