Try to solve this online chess puzzle. It is a difficult one. White to move and wins after an unusual 8th movement. Play, solve and comment
Some controversy sparked just before the uneventful game, as a clip showing Fabiano’s daily activities was briefly uploaded to YouTube. The clip contained a few shots of a laptop screen showing openings research. The clip was taken down and it’s unclear if Carlsen’s team extracted any insight from it.
At the same time that Fabiano Caruana and Magnus Carlsen played that marathon-length game, 16 students from The University of Texas at Dallas (UT Dallas) took on their counterparts from the University of Belgrade. The Svetozar Gligorić Transatlantic Cup is played via the Internet Chess Club and the games are available here. The Svetozar Gligorić Transatlantic Cup is an annual fall tradition. This year, the 13th in the series, UT Dallas won 12.5 to 3.5. Wins count as one point, draws as .5 points each. In this year’s match, UT Dallas lost only one game, drew five games, and won 10 games. A big improvement for UT Dallas from last year, which was an 8-8 tie!
Latest Chess Puzzle
SparkChess in news
- Buzzfeed thinks you should try SparkChess as a hobby.
- SparkChess demoed by Google for Chrome OS – the article is about Chrome OS and Chrome notebooks, but SparkChess, with its pretty graphics and impressive functionality was the the highlight of the presentation.
- Q&A with SparkChess’ author – an interview conducted by Adobe with many technical insights.
- SparkChess – top app on Chrome Web store – an article on The Independent
- Sharpen Your Chess Game – a review of flashCHESS III (the old SparkChess) on Lifehacker
- The Best Online Sources to Play and Learn Chess – another old review of the old SparkChess (flashCHESS III) as well as other sites.
Useful Chess sites
- ChessGuide.com – Chess directory with categorized links to Chess sites, software, news, leagues, tournaments and more.
- For chess sets, chess boards and over 400 other chess items, ChessBaron is a straighforward, honest and innovative chess retailer serving the chess market. It’s situated in the UK and delivers worldwide.
- For in-depth analysis of chess openings and chess strategy, there is no better place than The Chess Website.
- Online chess lessons with Chess Master William Stuart